Phone: 702-455-6322
Fax: 702-382-7426
330 S 3rd Street Ste. 670
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday
7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Closed Fridays.
Frequently Asked Questions

Who can file a complaint?

If you are the victim of or eye or ear witness to police misconduct, you may file a complaint regardless of age, citizenship, residence, disability, criminal record, incarceration or any other characteristic. The Review Board may only consider complaints against peace officers employed by METRO, not other law enforcement agencies.

What are the time limits for filing?

A complaint must be filed within one year of the incident of the alleged police misconduct. An ongoing criminal investigation shall toll the period for submitting a complaint to the Review Board.

What types of complaints are reviewed?

The Review Board has jurisdiction over any allegation of misconduct including, but not limited to, excessive use of force; discrimination or harassment; the improper discharge or use of firearms; illegal search or seizure; false arrest; false reporting; criminal conduct; or misconduct. It also has jurisdiction to review departmental policies and practices to make recommendations to the Sheriff regarding proposals for changes.

Is filing a complaint with the review board the same as filing a criminal or a civil complaint?

No. The Review Board's task is to investigate complaints and to issue reports with recommendations to the Sheriff based on the information discovered in its investigation. A citizen's right to pursue a criminal complaint or file a civil suit is not affected by the Review Board's complaint procedure.

You may also contact the Internal Affairs Bureau of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to investigate any charges against an officer.

If you want to bring a civil suit, you should contact an attorney at your earliest convenience. Such action must be timely because time limits will affect these claims.

Is there a Review Board anywhere else in Clark County?

No. The LVMPD Citizen Review Board is the only board at present that reviews conduct of LVMPD corrections officers and police officers. The board has no authority to review complaints against other agencies such as North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City or Highway Patrol.

Are there any requirements of eligibility to become a CRB board member?

Yes. One must reside in the City of Las Vegas city limits or unincorporated Clark County and may not be a current or former employee of the LVMPD or a spouse, child, sibling or parent of a current or former employee. The link to the Nevada Revised Statutes sets forth all other requirements.

When are there vacancies to become a board member?

Members serve in three year staggered terms and each year a term for some members will expire. However, members may be reappointed to serve an additional three-year term.

Does a complainant have to be a citizen or legal alien to file a complaint with the CRB?

No. Anyone alleging misconduct by a LVMPD peace officer may file a complaint.

Can a complainant file a complaint with both the CRB and the Internal Affairs Bureau of the LVMPD?

Yes. Complaints may be filed with either of the departments or may be filed with both departments at the same time. However, if there is a complaint filed and pending with the Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB), the CRB will not review the complaint until IAB has finished their investigation.

Is the CRB part of Metro?

No. The CRB is not affiliated with the LVMPD in any way and is an independent agency.

Does the CRB have their own investigators?

No. Complaints that warrant an investigation are referred to IAB and the CRB then reviews those investigations to determine their objectivity and basis of conclusions reached. If the CRB disagrees with the findings or has concerns about the investigation, then a case may be referred to an independent CRB panel that may subpoena witnesses and conduct an independent evidentiary review of the allegations.

Does the complainant have an opportunity to talk to the officer?

A complaint may be referred for voluntary mediation and if both the complainant and officer agree to attend mediation, there would be the opportunity for the complainant to discuss their case with the officer.